Wednesday, April 29, 2015

"The Wisest of Women Builds Her House...", (Proverbs 14:1) by Denise Johnson

"The Wisest of Women Builds Her House……..", (Proverbs 14:1). 


One of the most memorable and wonderful miracles in my life was the day of our wedding! It seems like it was yesterday when we exchanged wedding vows and our pastor's wife charged me with a scripture verse from Proverbs:14:1, "The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down".  I was so excited when I heard those words! I couldn't wait to be all that God called me to be as a wife and mother! However, it wasn't too long after those words were spoken to me that I would oftentimes become discouraged, especially after having children.

Building my house required more than the physical duties I pursued, (i.e. cleaning, cooking), but rather the spiritual duties, (i.e. prayer, bible reading). Since it was somewhat of a challenge to read God's word when they were born, I asked my husband to purchase the bible on CD for my birthday, (this was before bible apps). :) So, every morning, I would listen to the bible while my children watched Sesame Street.  Though I was multitasking throughout the day, it encouraged me nonetheless.  When my husband returned home from work, I would "try" to wait at least thirty minutes to tell him about my day, while encouraging him at the same time. :)

Then, after dinner when everyone was "content", I would take a quick walk to re-energize, (Matthew 14:23). Taking time for yourself is of primary importance in caring for your home.  I am reminded of the times when my family and I would board an airplane; the flight attendant would always remind the adults, (in case of an emergency), to place the oxygen mask on yourself first before placing them on your younger ones. As a mom, this is a daily challenge for me, but by the grace of God, and sixteen years later, I am encouraged to press-on!


"I press toward the mark toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus", (Philippians 3:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment