Monday, April 20, 2015

One way God uses two-year olds

Dear Mom of Littles,

I have always wanted children.  Always.  From as far back as I can remember.  I was eager to help shape and mold a little life.  To raise a child who would be kind, considerate, loving, full of joy and most of all, full of Jesus!  I could hardly wait to see how God would use me in the life of my child.

What I did not see coming was how God would use my own child to speak into my heart, to draw me to Him, and (more often that I would like to admit) to chide me.

I could speak for days on the ways my children have taught me about God, about grace, about the unending love (and patience) of Jesus.  Today I am thinking particularly about a time that I was gently chided.


My oldest was around two years old and we were playing outside. She wanted to ride her little bike so we were in the front yard playing in the driveway.  She was having so much fun, but kept trying to venture into the street.  I kept scolding and bringing her back into the driveway to keep her safe.  We went through this little dance over and over again and I was getting so exasperated!  If she continued to disobey we would need to end the fun of playing outside and head back into the house.

I remember thinking, "If she would only listen to me I would not have to discipline her!".  And then it hit me.  Standing there as the parent, I could see the danger of my little one venturing out into the street.  But as a full-of-life, naive two year old, she could not. The rules I was insisting upon were there to keep her safe, not to ruin her fun or punish her needlessly.

It was in that moment that I could sense the Spirit moving in my heart.  God's voice is much the same:  Jen, if you would only listen to Me, to follow My commands, I would not have to discipline you.  My rules are for your benefit, not your harm.

This is a lesson I have been taught over and again (thank goodness for patience and grace!).  And this is just one way God used my two year old in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment