Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Something I'm Glad I Did: Meals on Wheels

When my children were young and we were home a lot, I often found myself wishing I could find:

1.) reasons to get out of the house
2.) opportunities to help others
3.) opportunities for my kids to help others

Most volunteering opportunities I could find were only for adults, or older kids, but then I discovered Meals on Wheels.  This was something we could all do together!

When Strider and Rayna were about 3 and 5, we started volunteering a couple times a month.  We had the same delivery route each time, so we got to visit with the same 7 or 8 people each time.  A few of the people were a little gruff or unresponsive, but several of them loved to chat, and, especially, to see young children.

When Colsen came along and I was trying to manage getting 3 kids in and out of car seats (in a little station wagon), we gave up the route, but the kids still talked about it for years afterwards.

Now we're doing it again -- this time to houses right in or around our neighborhood.  The blessings have been huge.  My kids know all of the people quite well now, and get such joy packing up their meals to give to them.  Sometimes they make little crafts or cards for the elderly folks.  I love seeing the recipients open the door and beam when they see the kids.

One woman on our route in particular has made such an impression on me.  She has given to us over and over and, I hope, has influenced me in ways that will affect me for years.  I want to be like her when I get old.  So that has been an unexpected bonus.

If you have time in the late mornings to volunteer even once or twice a month, I think your kids -- and you -- will really find it worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment